Thursday, September 27

Improving video capture performance with Fraps

As some of you might already know, I'm in the process of making some videos of SunAge. I am using Fraps to do the video capture on a Bootcamp partition on my iMac. After some weeks capturing full-screen 1280x780 clips @30 FPS, performance started to degrade until a point where it couldn't handle video capture at all.

I spent quite some time figuring out the cause of this, and it turned out that HDD fragmentation was the cause. I had been installing/uninstalling a lot of things recently, and the several SVN repositories with thousands of files had caused a massive fragmentation on the FAT32 partition, thus severely degrading the HDD write throughput.

Finally, after a full defragmentation, Fraps works as a charm again and I can keep taking gameplay clips for the SunAge trailer ;)


PD: New blog theme! Moving away from the former dark tones to a cheerful 'sandy stone beach' color scheme.

No comments: